quinta-feira, 5 de março de 2020

Review: Youth to the People Superfood Cleanser

Hello guys!

Today I'm bringing you the review of the Superfood Cleanser from Youth to the People. I got the travel size when I went to Italy back in March and, while I was waiting for my train from Florence to Milan, I decided to enter Sephora. They already had the Super Ingredients Box (we only got it this month here in Portugal) and of course I couldn't resist bringing it home with me.
I was so curious to try any of the Youth to the People products that I started using the cleanser the very next morning!


🌸 What is the Superfood Cleanser 🌸

It's a face cleanser gel for daily use with cold-pressed antioxidants like kale, spinach and green tea. It removes makeup, prevents clogged pores and balances skin's PH without drying it. It is suitable for dry, combination, oily and normal skin and helps preventing oiliness, fine lines, wrinkles, dullness and uneven tones.
It's sulfate-free, alcohol-free, cruelty free and vegan.

Superfood Cleanser is available in three sizes: 30 ml, 59ml and 239ml

🌸 How to use 🌸

It is used twice daily: mornings and evenings. Use two pumps and rub them into a lather with wet hands, then apply to wet face and massage it for thirty seconds before rinsing it. To remove makeup add more water gradually during the massage.


🌸 Ingredients 🌸

Water, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Panthenol (Vitamin B5),Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Butylene Glycol, Brassica Oleracea(Kale) Leaf Extract, Spinacia Oleracea (Spinach) Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea)Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Extract,Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Extract, Natural Fragrance, Lecithin, HydroxypropylMethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Chlorophyll.

Kale: contains phytonutrients, Vitamin C, E and K, strengthens the skin and makes it glow
Spinach: it has cooling properties that soothes the skin 
Green Tea: anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory to clear the skin.


🌸 My opinion 🌸

The very first thing that I loved about the Superfood Cleanser was the container. Even the travel size comes in a glass, clear bottle. But I would have changed the plastic lid (which I actually broke closing the bottle) for a pump, just like the full-size has.

One small detail that I loved about this and I believe that all skincare products should have, is the actual expiration date besides the shelf life after opening. This is something that helps us consumers be sure that our products haven't been laying around for years and may not be as efficient as they once were.

I have to admit I was a little sceptical about the ingredients list. I'm not a stranger of Vitamin E cleansers and I do like the ascorbic acid specially to prevent the first signs of ageing. I've used plenty of cleansers with green tea and aloe vera, they're both amazing to sooth the skin from any kind of irritation. But I never used anything with kale or spinach. And while I don't mind them in my soup or salad, I wasn't sure I wanted them in my skincare.

My first concern about this cleanser was the smell. Even though I don't have sensitive skin, I noticed that this had a natural fragrance, so I was kind of worried that I would go around smelling like spinach, or worse... kale! Fortunately, as soon as I opened the bottle all I could find was a soft herbal scent.

The cleanser is a transparent, very liquid gel. It is thinner than anything I've used before, except maybe for oils, almost watery-like. It feels very lightweight when massaged into the skin. And this is where that pump would be a great help. It's not easy to 'guess' how much is enough and even harder to prevent spilling half the bottle into our hands.

While the gel is being massaged into the skin it feels very gentle but I wouldn't use it as my makeup remover because I feel that it's not enough, specially if I'm using a lot of makeup. Now if I use it as my second cleanser that's where its strengths are. It removes all traces of leftover makeup, dirt, grime, even excessive oils. But it doesn't make me feel like the skin is deeply clean or fresh and unlike what it claims, it makes it feel slightly dry. Not to the point that it becomes an issue, but as soon as I rinse it off, I feel like I need my moisturiser as soon as possible, even if it never caused any kind or irritation or even redness, which I definitely like about it. It's not easy to find a cleanser that doesn't cause me immediate redness and so far I never saw any.

For me, I think this would be an okay morning cleanser, to remove traces of skincare and excessive oils formed overnight, but while I love that this is sulfate and alcohol free, cruelty free and vegan, I'm not sure I will repurchase it at least on a regular basis. For the same price there are other products out there that don't cause me the small issues this one does, mainly the slight dryness. I have combination skin, it can be oily around my nose and chin area but very dry in my forehead, around my eyes and cheeks and this cleanser makes these later areas feel even drier so I think this would work better with normal or oilier skin types.


Have you ever tried the Youth to the People products?
What about this face cleanser?
Let me know in the comments what your favourite face cleanser is.

12 comentários:

  1. I have yet to try Youth to the People, but that cleanser doesn't really convince me. Although it is reassuring to hear it doesn't smell like actual kale...
    Just as a heads up: The link you left on my blog isn't working, it brings you to an "access denied" page on blogspot when you click on it.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. It's good enough as a morning cleanser, but I doubt I'll repurchase it.
      Once again, thank you for letting me know.

      Eliminar
  2. I've been watching skin care product reviews the whole day and still reading blogs related to skin care products until now Haha! This is the first time I've heard about Youth to the People brand and it thrills and excites me to read more reviews and try it maybe soon. :) Great review!

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Really? It's not a huge brand yet, but lately everyone seems to be using it.
      Thank you!

      Eliminar
  3. i've never tried this brand before! thank you for the detailed review! i prefer cleansers that remove all my makeup so i might skip on this one.


    https://www.clairetalksbeauty.com/

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Exactly, if it can't remove makeup, I don't expect it to properly clean my skin. And it doesn't feel deep cleaned at all. That's why I think it works better as a morning cleanser.

      Eliminar
  4. Great review! I definitely wouldn't want a face smelling like Kale either :D

    I love the look of the bottle and the formula sounds really interesting too!

    My current favourite cleansers include the Milky one from Glossier and I also really like the new Gel one from Emma Hardie - I'm feeling the love for gel cleansers at the mo xx

    Beauty Geek Beauty Blog

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Thank you! I admit that was a concern for a moment because it announce Kale as a main ingredient and said Natural Fragrance. I was a little worried! eheheh

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Very nice post.never tried this brand before

    https://villemo20.blogspot.com

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Trata-se de uma marca que chegou recentemente a Portugal. Encontra-se na Sephora.
    Beijinho.

    ResponderEliminar

Thank you for your comment!